Artificial intelligence (AI) is a process of imitating human intelligence that relies on creating and applying algorithms executed in a dynamic computing environment.
To achieve this, three components are needed:
- Computer systems
- Data with management systems
- Advanced AI algorithms (code)
To get as close as possible to human behavior, artificial intelligence needs a high amount of data and high processing capacity.
Uses of artificial intelligence
Here are some illustrations :
- Fraud detection.
- In the finance industry, artificial intelligence is used in two ways. Apps that score credit applications use AI to assess consumers’ creditworthiness. More advanced AI engines are responsible for monitoring and detecting fraudulent payments made by credit cards in real-time.
- Virtual Customer Service (SCV). Call centers use an SCV to predict and respond to customer requests without human intervention. Speech recognition and a human dialogue simulator is the first point of interaction with customer service. More complex requests require human intervention.
- When an Internet user opens a dialogue window on a web page (chatbot), his interlocutor is often a computer running a form of specialized AI. If the chatbot fails to interpret the question or resolve the issue, a human agent takes over. These interpretation failures are sent to the machine learning system to improve future interactions of the AI application.
How does artificial intelligence work?
In general, by learning the behaviors, and from there, predicting and solving future problems. There are many divisions of the types of artificial intelligence. We focus on 2:
- Simple (or weak) AI: designed to respond to predefined and specific tasks. For example, virtual assistants by the voice from our smartphones.
- AI complex (or robust): mimics human cognitive abilities. This type of AI, more advanced, involves searching for solutions to unknown tasks without having previously defined solutions for these tasks.
Artificial intelligence is based on data and algorithms that work from them. Through the process detailed below:
- Identify the importance of the problem.
- Analyze past situations and study all the possible variables related to the problem you want to analyze.
- Using a system of statistics, predict the outcome of this problem, always from known data.
- Once the system has all the data, it provides the most realistic solution to the problem. Thus, the AI learns to solve a similar situation in the future automatically.
One way or another, AI is present in almost every field: education, business, health, finance, legal, industrial, etc. Why is this happening? Basically, because of its characteristics:
- It can help us perform repetitive tasks involving manipulating a large amount of data or very complex data.
- Deep learning: automation of predictive analytics (ability to predict future activities, behaviors, or trends).
- A computer program can process human language.
The advantages of artificial intelligence
Some advantages of artificial intelligence.
Effectiveness and efficiency
The adoption of these robots in man’s daily life has a considerable advantage in terms of the tasks that will be assigned to him. It is, in fact, clear that the machines are based on well-defined algorithms, make it possible to optimize the effectiveness and efficiency of a job carried out. Therefore, the man will be able to take less risk in the accomplishment of tasks since he devotes himself only to specific work.
Preservation of human life
The robot, by replacing men in specific tasks, can protect them against certain fatal threats. This is the case, for example, with their use for space exploration.
The disadvantages of artificial intelligence
Artificial intelligence also has drawbacks.
A considerable drawback of artificial intelligence is the threat it poses to human development. Indeed, man, for his development, must interact with his environment. By familiarizing himself with machines, he dissociates himself from his fellow man. He creates a world in which he identifies more and more with machines. There are, therefore, losses of specific fundamental values conditioning the development of man in society.
The jobs that will emerge will be oriented towards the design of these machines, which, for their part, will replace men working in other sectors. Thus, the development of artificial intelligence would be a source of increased poverty and its corollaries.
Furthermore, the behavior of machines is not always predictable. In the event of a malfunction or in the face of new, unforeseen situations, they may be contrary to those hoped for.